Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Lazy, Rainy Afternoon in Singapore



We took a really long nap this afternoon after lunch.
 
The computer ran out of power and Jim went down to the Business Center and came back with a transformer- more like a fat plug- and it worked great. I couldn't help but remember the transformers that we had to buy and use in Germany 45 years ago. Those things were huge- about 4" x 6" and weighed 10-20 pounds. This one was too cool! We are off and running with power! Indeed technology has come a long way...and what an understatement that is!
We went downstairs to the bar and met a couple from Tucson-originally from Holland- who are traveling on the MS Nautica as well. They had been in the bar just after noon when we were so we began a conversation. They have traveled a great deal also so we had fun comparing notes with Ben and Adrianna.
Jim and I went to dinner at Man Fu Yuan Chinaese Restaurant in the hotel. 

We shared way too much food- garlic pork rolls; prawns with tropical 
fruit salad; crispy pork ribs; sliced chicken with
dried chilis and cashew nuts and a vegetarian dish of lily bulbs, snow peas, mushrooms and water chestnuts in a yam bowl. Learned that yams are clearly different in China than they are in our background. All was tasty. 

I even had a dessert that was supposed to be good for your complexion- a warm sort of apple soup with Fiji apples and cherries. Very different.


The restaurant was lovely, the service was grand and the food was very different. 

We are off to bed for the evening of December 20. 

1 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Sue Moore said...

(Second email - forgot my Google password and had to make a new one, which means I lost [I think] my last email. If I didn't, sorry that this is a repeat.)

Anyway, finally catching up with your trip. Love the photos and descriptions. I live vicariously through you, you know :-) Glad you're catching up on your rest as you go.

Jade's the same - MRI showed no apparent reason for the loss of peripheral vision, so it's good news, bad news - nothing they can do but wait to see if time heals it. Otherwise, we're doing great.

I think of you every time I see the table runner, last year's pillow, the year before's German candle-nativity-rotating wooden thing - I'm sure it has a name, but it's really cool.

I'll lift a toast to you tonight. How is the wine in that part of the world?

Have a ton of fun. Hugs, Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home