Saturday, November 29, 2014

November 29- A Day at Sea…again

The sunset last evening as we sailed away was really unusual. The weather had been overcast and

cloudy all day- not to mention drippy, rainy and gray. So we were surprised to look out and see the brilliant red topped by the almost gray and white cloudy sky.

All night the ship rocked and made strange noises as the wind blew. We both slept well except for occasionally being awakened by sudden movement or sound. Nelma, our cabin stewardess, said she couldn’t sleep last night because of the extreme rocking. She is a very nice person from the Philippines who has a 9-year-old son at home living with her sister. I guess when one family member goes to work for the cruise industry it becomes a total family project.

Samuel, our Butler, is from Goa, India and is counting the days until he goes on vacation on January 20th. Each of the ports in Hawaii he was off doing shopping for gifts for his family  whenever he had a break. All of a sudden yesterday afternoon I  got something painfully wrong with my hip. I knew I couldn’t make it to the dining room for dinner given the rolling of the sea and the pain in my hip. I was just going to do room service, but Jim had the bright idea of calling the Butler for a wheel chair. Sure enough here came Samuel with his perpetual smile and a wheel chair. Frustrating for me but so thankful for his help.  After dinner they called him and he came to take me back. I said I was sorry to be a bother since I knew he was so busy in the evenings and he said his job was to take care of his passengers and he was happy to do that. Nice to be pampered. We enjoyed watching the movie "Maleficent" and went to bed at about 10:30.

This is the first of four days at sea before we reach Nuku Hiva on the Marquesas Islands. Hoping for clear skies and smoother seas.  

This is a time to be really lazy. I am getting a massage this afternoon and hoping for great results on this pesky hip.

Jim went to hear Dr. Sobey lecture about The Equator. Seems a timely talk since we are about to cross that line in the water.

2 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger iluvdogs said...

Sorry to hear about your hip and I sure hope the next few days at sea and the massage are helpful. It sure sounds like you are getting tossed about a lot -- is that normal for the Pacific Ocean?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Jim and Elaine Barnett said...

It is a side to side roll instead of a front to back roll- not sharp but almost constant. AND yes, I do think it is fairly normal for the Pacific according the one of the lecturers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home